- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Known as the Greenshell mussel capital of the world (Greenshells are a variety of green-lipped mussel), Havelock is at the head of Pelorus Sound, and trips around this sound on the Pelorus Sound mail boat, Pelorus Express, depart here. Pelorus Sound is larger than Queen Charlotte Sound but less accessible by commercial craft. Locals will forgive you for thinking you've seen what the Marlborough Sounds are all about after crossing from the North Island to the South Island on the ferry—in reality, it's just a foretaste of better things to come. Small seaside Havelock (population 400) is a good place to stroll; check out the busy little marina, poke into a few arts and crafts shops, and enjoy those mussels.
Havelock at a Glance
Elsewhere in Upper South Island and the West Coast
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Around Nelson
- Golden Bay and Takaka
- Kahurangi National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's