- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Drive in from Nelson or Westport to the north, or from the glaciers or Christchurch to the south (although Christchurch is effectively east of Greymouth; the road over Arthur's Pass comes in to Greymouth from the south). Watch around Greymouth and Hokitika as there are a number of one-way bridges, some with unalarmed rail crossings as well. InterCity buses and Atomic Shuttles arrive in Greymouth daily.
The TranzAlpine train departs Christchurch daily at 8:15 am and arrives in Greymouth at 12:45 pm; the return train departs Greymouth at 1:45 pm and arrives at Christchurch at 6:05 pm. The one-way fare is NZ$93-$185, round-trip NZ$186-$229 if returning on the same day.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe