- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Happy Valley Adventures—4WD Motorbikes and SkyWire. There's fun at Happy Valley Adventures—4WD Motorbikes and SkyWire, and lots of it. Hop on a four-wheeled motorbike and go headlong up into the bush before breaking out 14 exciting km (8½ mi) later to see a wide-reaching view across Delaware Bay. If you're not happy driving a quad bike, then hop on as a passenger with someone else or take the 4WD van tour. They also do a Tour of Discovery with a local guide who explains the cultural and historical aspects of the land you cross, and who also demonstrates ancient crafts. There's the world's only Skywire, the longest flying fox in the world—a 10-minute, mile-long, high-wire ride that takes you zooming over the surrounding bush and chattering native birds. Paintball and horse treks are now available as well—try the 2+ hour Bayview ride (NZ$110) for some stunning views and mountain trails. 194 Cable Bay Rd., (15-min drive north of Nelson), Nelson, 7071. 03/5450304. www.happyvalleyadventures.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand