- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Happy Valley Adventures—4WD Motorbikes and SkyWire. There's a ton of fun at Happy Valley Adventures—quad bikes and reportedly the world's longest flying fox (zipline), the SkyWire, for starters. It's located on a 1,600 acre farm just 10 minutes' drive from Nelson city. Hop on a quad bike and climb a bush-lined track for 14 exciting km (8½ mi) before breaking out into the open to admire the ocean view across Delaware Bay. If the quad is not your thing, take the 4WD van tour. They also do a Tour of Discovery with a local guide who explains cultural and historical aspects of the land you cross. Take a ride on the Skywire—a mile-long zipline that takes you zooming across a forest-filled gully. If something more grounded is for you try a horse trek—such as the 2.5 hour Bayview ride (NZ$110) for some stunning views and mountain trails. And if all that's not enough, they also offer paintball. Whatever you do you'll build up an appetite, so take some time out in the Home Base Cafe. 194 Cable Bay Rd., (15-min drive north of Nelson), Nelson, 7071. 03/545–0304. www.happyvalleyadventures.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's