Tipping is not as widely practiced in New Zealand as in the United States or Europe, but in city restaurants and hotels it's appreciated if you acknowledge good service with a 10% tip.
Taxi drivers will appreciate rounding up the fare to the nearest NZ$5 amount, but don't feel you have to do this. Porters will be happy with a NZ$1 or NZ$2 coin. Most other people, like bartenders, theater attendants, gas-station attendants, or barbers, will probably wonder what you are doing if you try to give them a tip.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- $4599 -- Sydney, Cairns, Auckland Trip w/4-Nt. Reef Cruise — $4,599 Air New Zealand Vacations
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand