Discounts and Deals
Discounts and Deals
Look into the New Zealand Travelpass to save money by combining bus, ferry, and train costs. The Travelpass has no fixed itineraries and gives you 3,000 different stops to choose from. You choose from a certain number of days of travel and kinds of transportation; there's also an option to tack on air travel. Most Travelpasses are valid for one year; the bus-only version is valid for unlimited travel on InterCity and Newmans coaches over a one-, two-, or three-month period, with an incremental-rate structure. You can purchase an open-ended pass from your travel agent prior to leaving and then call the Travelpass reservations center to make reservations.
The Tranz Scenic rail service also has a couple of deals worth checking out, including ThroughFares, which combine Tranz Scenic train trips with SoundsAir flights and the Interislander ferries.
Ask the local tourist board about hotel and local transportation packages that include tickets to major museum exhibits or other special events.
New Zealand Travelpass (0800/339-966 toll-free in New Zealand. www.travelpass.co.nz.)
Tranz Scenic (04/495-0775; 0800/872-467 toll-free in New Zealand. www.tranzscenic.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel