New Zealand does tourism well. Tourism New Zealand (www.newzealand.com) is the main branch, yet almost every city and small town has an i-SITE (www.i-site.org) or visitor center. These centers usually have displays on local history and flora and fauna, local weather conditions, and brochures. The staff often book activities and accommodations. Be advised, though, that i-SITES are businesses: they only promote tour operators that pay to be a part of the local tourist association.
The Department of Conservation has a good Web site (www.doc.govt.nz) and local offices, with in-depth hiking and weather information.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe