- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
If you're coming from Queenstown, you have two choices for getting to Wanaka: go over the Crown Range for stunning views (not recommended in snow) or take the winding road along the Kawarau River through wine and fruit country. From Christchurch, drive south through Geraldine and Twizel. Once in Wanaka it's easy to park and walk around town, and a taxi service can get you back to your accommodations if you take advantage of the nightlife. A short but pleasant drive to the western side of the lake brings you to Glendhu Bay. With nothing here but a campground and fabulous mountain and lake views, the real beauty in this drive lies in the unspoiled calm and surreal quiet (except in mid-summer, when it is packed full of vacationing locals). This road also leads to the Aspiring region and the Treble Cone ski area. Several bus companies serve Wanaka, and Air New Zealand flies into Wanaka Airport.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's