- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Walking and Trekking
The Mt. Aspiring National Park provides serious hiking and mountaineering opportunities, including Wilkins Valley, Makarora River, and Mt. Aspiring tracks and trails.
Diamond Lake Track. The complete Diamond Lake Track takes three hours and starts 25 km (15½ mi) west of Wanaka, also on the Glendhu Bay–Mt. Aspiring road. The track rises to 2,518 feet at Rocky Peak, passing Diamond Lake along the way. If you've got time for only a short walk, take the one that heads to the lake; it takes only 20 minutes. The Diamond Lake area is also popular with mountain bikers and rock climbers. Matukituki Valley Road, Wanaka, 9382. 03/443–7660. www.doc.govt.nz.
Lake Wanaka Outlet Track. You get maximum views for minimal challenge on one of the prettiest local trails, which meanders along the Clutha River from the Lake Wanaka Outlet to Albert Town. This is a kid-friendly route, and also fly-fisherman-, bicyclist-, and picnicker-friendly. It takes about an hour one way. Outlet Track, Wanaka, 9382.
Mt. Iron. If you have time for only one walk, Mt. Iron, rising 780 feet above the lake, is relatively short and rewarding. The access track begins 2 km (1 mi) from Wanaka, and the walk to the top takes 45 minutes. You can descend on the alternative route down the steep eastern face. Wanaka.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's