- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With reliable snow and dry powder, Wanaka has some of the best skiing and snowboarding in New Zealand. Cardrona and Treble Cone are the two biggest winter-sports resorts. For more information about skiing and snowboarding in the area, check out www.skilakewanaka.com.
Cardrona. Cardrona, 34 km (21 mi) southwest of Wanaka, has a kids' ski school and activity center, plus three kid- and beginner-friendly lifts, and food outlets. A special "heavy metal" trail pours on the rails and jumps. Two quad chairlifts and a detachable high-speed lift are available. The season is roughly June-October, and a day's lift pass costs NZ$94. A bonus at Cardrona is the 12 apartments up on the mountain (rates range from NZ$240 to NZ$650 a night). 18 Dunmore St., Cardrona Valley, Wanaka. www.cardrona.com.
Snow Park. For snowboarders, the Snow Park supplies a huge selection of rails, jumps, pipes, and terrain features. Cardrona Valley Rd, Wanaka, 9381. 03/443-9991. www.snowparknz.com.
Treble Cone. Treble Cone, 19 km (11½ mi) west of Wanaka, is the South Island's largest ski area, with lots of advanced trails and off-piste skiing. A quad lift and expanded trails have just been completed. A day's lift pass costs NZ$99. 03/443-7443. www.treblecone.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations
- $3099 & up -- Australia, New Zealand & Cook Islands Getaway — $3,099 Travelscene
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Down Under Answers