- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With reliable snow and dry powder, Wanaka has some of the best skiing and snowboarding in New Zealand. Cardrona and Treble Cone are the two biggest winter-sports resorts. For more information about skiing and snowboarding in the area, check out www.skilakewanaka.com.
Cardrona. Cardrona, 34 km (21 mi) southwest of Wanaka, has a kids' ski school and activity center, plus three kid- and beginner-friendly lifts, and food outlets. A special "heavy metal" trail pours on the rails and jumps. Two quad chairlifts and a detachable high-speed lift are available. The season is roughly June–October, and a day's lift pass costs NZ$94. A bonus at Cardrona is the 12 apartments up on the mountain (rates range from NZ$240 to NZ$650 a night). 18 Dunmore St., Cardrona Valley, Wanaka. www.cardrona.com.
Snow Park. For snowboarders, the Snow Park supplies a huge selection of rails, jumps, pipes, and terrain features. Cardrona Valley Rd, Wanaka, 9381. 03/443–9991. www.snowparknz.com.
Treble Cone. Treble Cone, 19 km (11½ mi) west of Wanaka, is the South Island's largest ski area, with lots of advanced trails and off-piste skiing. A quad lift and expanded trails have just been completed. A day's lift pass costs NZ$99. 03/443–7443. www.treblecone.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe