- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The weather around Wanaka is clear much of the time, which has allowed it to become a scenic-flight base for fixed-wing planes and helicopters. Flights take in Mt. Cook and the West Coast glaciers, the Mt. Aspiring area, Queenstown, and Fiordland.
Alpine Helicopters. Alpine Helicopters has heli-skiing options in season, as well as heli-fishing excursions in Fiordland. Wanaka Airport, 10 Lloyd Dunn Ave, Wanaka. 03/443-4000. www.alpineheli.co.nz.
Aspiring Helicopters. Aspiring Helicopters does scenic and adventure trips ranging from a 25-minute local flight for NZ$155 to a half-day trip to Milford Sound, where you join a boat cruise on the fjord before heading back to Wanaka (from NZ$770). A Mt. Aspiring trip lands on the ski slopes (for NZ$375 per person). 03/443-7152. www.aspiringhelicopters.co.nz.
Wanaka Flightseeing. Wanaka Flightseeing runs small Cessna aircraft to all the hot spots. Wanaka Airport, 10 Lloyd Dunn Ave., Wanaka. 03/443-8787. www.flightseeing.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers