Scenic Flights in Wanaka
The weather around Wanaka is clear much of the time, which has allowed it to become a scenic-flight base for fixed-wing planes and helicopters. Flights take in Mt. Cook and the West Coast glaciers, the Mt. Aspiring area, Queenstown, and Fiordland.
Aspiring Helicopters. It may be hard to believe the scenery can get any better but fasten your seat belt and prepare to be enthralled. Aspiring Helicopters does scenic and adventure trips ranging from a 20-minute local flight to a 2-hour trip to Milford Sound. If you can, take the longer flight to Milford that goes via Mt Aspiring; it includes landing at a high alpine lake and on a glacier. If you're after the serious wilderness spots to climb, ski, bike, fish or hunt— they'll take you there, too. 03/443–7152. www.aspiringhelicopters.co.nz. From NZ$170 per person.
Wanaka Flightseeing. Wanaka Flightseeing runs small Cessna aircraft to all the hot spots. Wanaka Airport, 10 Lloyd Dunn Ave., Wanaka, 9382. 03/443–8787. www.flightseeing.co.nz. From NZ$240.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's