- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre. Information, transport options, and maps for the plethora of hikes near Te Anau, including the Kepler Track, can be obtained from the Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre. Lakefront Dr., Te Anau, 9600. 03/249–7924. www.doc.govt.nz.
Kepler Track. The 60-km (37-mi) Kepler Track loops from the south end of Lake Te Anau and takes three to four days to complete. It goes through extensive beech forest, past limestone bluffs, and provides incredible views of the South Fiord and Te Anau Basin. It's a moderate walking trail but there are a number of hills to climb and a steep zigzag downhill section that takes a couple of hours and can be hard on the knees. It also includes an alpine crossing and hikers should beware of high wind gusts while crossing the exposed saddle above the bush line. If you're on a tight schedule take a day hike to the Luxmore and Moturau huts. Huts cost $NZ54 in summer and you need to book; check online or call the Great Walks Booking Office for advice and conditions. 03/249–8514 Great Walks Booking. www.doc.govt.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's