- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Coronet Peak. Coronet Peak, 10 minutes from Queenstown along Gorge Road, rocks day and night to a ski and snowboard crowd that returns year after year. Queenstown's original ski resort now has a skiable area of 700 acres, a vertical drop of 1,360 feet, and six tows and chairlifts, including a quad lift. The season usually runs June to October, and night skiing is available from mid-July to mid-September. Adult day passes cost NZ$95 03/442–4620. www.nzski.com.
The Remarkables. Just across the valley, the Remarkables is a newer ski area that is good for beginner and intermediate skiing and hard-core off-piste runs. The vertical drop here is 1,160 feet, there are five tows and chairlifts, and 30% of the terrain is classified advanced. It's a 45-minute drive from Queenstown to the ski area parking lot on State Highway 6. 03/442–4615. www.nzski.com. NZ$91.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe