- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dart River Safaris. With Dart River Safaris you can get a nonpareil look at rugged Mt. Aspiring National Park, one of the most spectacular parts of South Island. The Safari route includes jet-boating on the upper and lower Dart River, along with a bit of walking. The longer Heritage Trail takes private charters on a jet-boat and walking trip with a historic focus. The Funyak option takes you upstream by jet-boat, then you paddle gently downstream, exploring the Rockburn Chasm on the way. Shuttle buses depart daily from Queenstown for the 45-minute ride to the boats. Costs range from NZ$219 plus transfer to NZ$289 plus transfer. Even though the company provides you with rain gear, wear another raincoat under it. You're going to get extremely wet. Corner of Camp and Shotover St., Queenstown, 9300. 0800/327–853. www.dartriver.co.nz.
Shotover Jet. Shotover Jet leads high-speed, heart-stopping rides in the Shotover River canyons; it's got exclusive rights to operate in these waters. The boat pirouettes within inches of canyon walls. The boats are based at the Shotover Jet Beach beneath the historic Edith Cavell Bridge, a 10-minute drive from Queenstown. If you don't have transport, a free shuttle makes frequent daily runs. Reservations are essential. Costs start at NZ$119. Gorge Rd., over the Edith Cavell Bridge at Arthur's Point, Queenstown, 9300. 03/442–8570. www.shotoverjet.co.nz..
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe