- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
AJ Hackett Bungy. This is where bungy began in New Zealand, at the original jump site; Kawarau Bridge, 20 minutes from Queenstown on State Highway 6. Even if you don't plan on taking the leap it's worth heading there to watch from the viewing decks. There's a new zipride, too, that's way easier on the nerves but still gives something to write home about. Those who graduate from the 142-foot plunge might like to test themselves on the Nevis Bungy, suspended 440 feet above the Nevis River, or try out what they claim is the world's biggest swing. If you're short on time, there's always the Ledge by the Skyline Gondola where you can also jump or swing. Be sure to check age, height, and weight requirements. The Station, Camp and Shotover Sts., Queenstown, 9300. 0800/286–4958 NZ only; 03/450–1300. www.bungy.co.nz. From NZ$60 for the Zipride; NZ$180 for the Kawarau or Ledge jump.
Shotover Canyon Swing. For those who think bungy jumping doesn't keep the adrenaline pumping long enough, the Shotover Canyon Swing gives a terrifying jump with an added scenic boost. Choose your jump style—go forwards, backwards, or tied to a chair—and leave the edge of a cliff 109 meters (358 feet) above the Shotover Canyon. Age, height, and weight requirements apply. 03/442–6990 bookings. www.canyonswing.co.nz..
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's