- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Gateway communities to the park are Wanaka, Glenorchy, Queenstown, and Te Anau. These towns are all served by bus companies, and you can fly into Wanaka, Queenstown, and Te Anau. Major thoroughfares lead to them and driving to any of these locations is a treat—the scenery in this part of the country is dramatic and roadside attractions include gorgeous vineyards, fresh fruit stands, mountain passes, white-water rivers, and if you're en route to Wanaka from Queenstown you can stop and bungy jump!
For maps, information on local walks, and information on the three campgrounds and 20 backcountry huts in the park, contact the DOC. Many tours to the park leave from Wanaka.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe