- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Siberia Experience. Siberia Experience has one of the best adventure packages. For NZ$340, the journey begins with a funky little yellow plane in a paddock-cum-airstrip. After a breathtaking 25-minute journey from Makarora, the pilot drops you off in the pristine wilderness of Mt. Aspiring National Park's Siberia Valley, and points you to a trailhead. From there, embark on a magnificent three-hour hike on a well-marked, relatively easy trail. Finally, a jet-boat meets you at the Wilkin River and returns you to Makarora. There is a hut out there if you'd like to arrange overnight stays. 48 Helwick St., Wanaka. 0800/345–666. www.siberiaexperience.co.nz.
Wild Walks. Wild Walks also leads treks through Mt. Aspiring National Park, including Rabbit Pass, considered one of the most strenuous trails in the country. 99 Ardmore St., Wanaka, 9305. 03/443–9422. www.wildwalks.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe