- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Earth and Sky. If you're extremely lucky, you'll see the southern lights! Even if you don't, you're still at one of the best stargazing sites in the world. Earth and Sky operates from the Mt. John Observatory and studies the skies above Lake Tekapo. The Astro Café has ham-off-the-bone sandwiches, telescopes, and dizzying views. Stargazing trips leave from the town office in the evening, and reservations are essential. Earth and Sky also offers a shorter one-hour tour of the Cowan's Observatory, which is more suitable for those with younger children. You can do daytime tours of the facility too, just book at the cafe; the coffee's good there, too. Main St., State Hwy. 8, Lake Tekapo, 7945. 03/680–6960. www.earthandsky.co.nz. NZ$140.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's