- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Earth and Sky. If you're extremely lucky, you'll see the southern lights! Earth and Sky operates from the Mt. John Observatory and studies the skies above Lake Tekapo. A sign asks you to dim your headlights on approach; the galaxy is considered part of the park and nobody wants you to outshine the stars. The Astro Café has ham-off-the-bone sandwiches, telescopes, and dizzying views. Stargazing trips leave from the town office at 7:30 pm in the winter and 9 pm in the summer; they cost NZ$85 per adult ($50 per child), and reservations are essential. Daytime tours of the facility cost NZ$25 ($10 per child) and can be booked at the café. Main St., State Hwy. 8, Lake Tekapo, 7945. 03/680-6960. www.earthandsky.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers