The Southern Alps and Fiordland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Southern Alps and Fiordland
Bungy Jumping: Don't worry, there is no pressure to jump off a bridge with an elastic cord tied to your ankles. But if you have a desire to bungy (Kiwi for "bungee"), this is where to do it.
Fly-Fishing: The lakes and rivers of the Southern Alps are some of the world's best fly-fishing spots. The waters are so clear, half the challenge is hiding from your target.
Hiking: Tramping doesn't get any better than the Milford Track, the Kepler, the Routeburn, and the Hollyford. You'll see mountains, fjords, waterfalls, and rain forests, and because the Department of Conservation (DOC) keeps a close eye on trail traffic, you'll have the sense of being alone in the wilderness.
Scenic Flights: With high mountain peaks, deep fjords, thick forest, and open tussock lands all in close proximity, a scenic flight is money well spent.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's