- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are several walks—Tobin's Track, the Loop, Sawpit Gully, and the Lake Hayes Walk —to raise the fitness levels and give you a feeling for where you are. Some investigate the old gold history, but others give nice views. You can get details on all of them from the Lakes District Museum Information Centre. For easier ambles take the Arrow River Trail or the Bush Creek Trail. And if you want a real challenge tackle the hike out to the old gold settlement Macetown. Although you might hear the Macetown Bakery mentioned, be aware the place is a ghost town now and all that remains are remnants of the settlement.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers