- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Climbing and Mountaineering
Adventure Consultants. Summer is the best climbing season in the Aoraki/Mt. Cook National Park area. Adventure Consultants, a group specializing in the world's top peaks, guides ascents of Aoraki, Mt. Tasman and throughout the Southern Alps. They also give private multiday mountaineering, alpine-climbing and ice-climbing courses. The company is based in Wanaka and have a full range of equipment. 20 Brownston St., Lake Wanaka, 9343. 03/443–8711; 866/757–8722 toll free in U.S. www.adventureconsultants.com. From NZ$550 per day.
Alpine Guides. If you're keen to get in among the Southern Alps, Alpine Guides can arrange short mountaineering trips and supply all the gear for people with limited time, and any degree of experience (as long as you're fit). During winter (July to September), they also run heli-ski trips, ski tours (including on the Tasman Glacier), ice climbing, and ski mountaineering. If time's no issue, experienced climbers or beginners can sign up for the appropriate level of Alpine Guides' 6 to 10-day mountaineering courses. There's quite a price range so check the website. Terrace Rd., Mt. Cook Village, 7946. 03/435–1834. www.alpineguides.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's