- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You will share the water with raucous fairy penguins, yellow-eyed penguins, elephant seals, leopard seals, Stewart Island shags, and occasionally dolphins. The mostly uninhabited Paterson Inlet is 100 square km (38 square mi) of bush-clad, sheltered waterways. It has 20 islands, four DOC huts, and two navigable rivers.
Rakiura Kayaks. Rakiura Kayaks for kayak rentals and gear (including bathyscopes for underwater viewing). Liz Cave, a lifelong islander and paddler (a circumnavigation of Rakiura is under her belt) runs the operation. Prices start at NZ$45 for a full-day rental to NZ$85 for a full-day guided trip (half day NZ$60). Guided trips might include hand-lining for cod and trumpeter from a kayak. Liz's family owns one of two homes on a Paterson Inlet island: the old Norwegian whalers' cookhouse makes a perfect base for your adventure. Ask for recommendations on reliable water taxi operators and guides for kayak–hiking combos. Liz knows Paterson Inlet intimately. She can tell you where to spot baby oystercatchers, or where to best find a paua. Argyle St., Oban, 9846. 03/219–1160. www.rakiura.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe