- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You will share the water with raucous fairy penguins, yellow-eyed penguins, elephant seals, leopard seals, Stewart Island shags, and occasionally dolphins. The mostly uninhabited Paterson Inlet is 100 square km (38 square mi) of bush-clad, sheltered waterways. It has 20 islands, four DOC huts, and two navigable rivers.
Phil's Sea Kayak. Suitable for beginners and experienced paddlers, a half-day guided trip in peaceful Paterson Inlet close to the shoreline is hard to beat. A full day trip will get you into exposed coastal and inter-tidal waters, or how about a sunset trip to round off the day as little blue penguins come ashore. Phil is very modest about his 30 years' experience on the water (which includes a circumnavigation of Stewart Island and crossing Foveaux Strait) and makes an amiable and patient guide. Small groups; tailored to experience; prices start from NZ$79 per person. 7 Leonard Street, Oban, 9846. 027/444-2323. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's