- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you go fishing, your catch will likely be the succulent Stewart Island blue cod. Go with a guide and he or she will fillet and bag it for you. Some will cook it for your lunch! We recommend going out with one of the real salt dogs who have fished these waters all their lives.
John Leask. John Leask of the Rawhiti is also known as Hurricane Johnny. He's been fishing Foveaux Straight for 60 years and provides a knowledgeable and safe experience for people of all ages and abilities. Halfmoon Bay Wharf, Invercargill. 03/21919–1023.
Richard Squires (aka Squizzy). Richard Squires (aka Squizzy)) runs an old-school operation with a historic wooden boat and hand lines. Halfmoon Bay Wharf, Oban. 03/21919–1141. www.loloma.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe