- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Catlins Wildlife Trackers Ecotours. For an immersive experience, try Catlins Wildlife Trackers Ecotours, operated by Fergus and Mary Sutherland. The three- and six-night tours include day and night walks and conservation activities. Tours cost NZ$660 for three nights. Their fully catered two-day Catlins Traverse Walk is NZ$720. 5 Mirren St., Papatowai, 9586. 03/415–8613. www.catlins-ecotours.co.nz.
Monarch Wildlife Cruises (20 Fryatt St., Dunedin, 9016. 03/477–4276. www.wildlife.co.nz.)
Natures Wonders Naturally. Natures Wonders Naturally uses an all-terrain vehicle to get you to hard-to-reach parts of the Otago Peninsula. Tours include visits to colonies of shags (cormorants), seals, and blue penguins, and you may even catch up with some yellow-eyed penguins coming ashore. The one-hour trip starts at $52. Harington Point, Portobello, Dunedin, 9014. 03/478–1150. www.natureswondersnaturally.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe