- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Otago Central Rail Trail
From Dunedin Railway Station, take the Taieri Gorge Train to Middlemarch (or Pukerangi, 19 km [12 mi] from Middlemarch), one end of the Otago Central Rail Trail. This 150-km (93-mi) pleasantly undulating bicycle path follows the old railway line and includes a dizzying wooden viaduct, a 150-meter-long (500-foot-long) tunnel, and places to eat, sleep, and drink along the way. The only traffic you'll encounter is the occasional herd of muddy-bottomed sheep. The ride takes about five days to complete, passing through sheep farms and lovely wee towns such as Ranfurly, an "oasis of art deco," and Alexander, one of the busier hubs in Central Otago on the banks of the paint green Clutha River. The trail eventually ends in Thyme-scented Clyde. The route can be traversed in either direction; Clyde is approximately 80 km (50 mi) from Queenstown. The Otago Central Rail Trail is a great way to experience the sheep stations, puzzling sheep station gates with puzzling locks (a couple dozen of them), mud, wind, rivers, pubs, and old gold fields of the South Island on a bicycle-friendly path. www.otagocentralrailtrail.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand