- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Otago Central Rail Trail
From Dunedin Railway Station, take the Taieri Gorge Train to Middlemarch (or Pukerangi, 19 km [12 mi] from Middlemarch), one end of the Otago Central Rail Trail. This 150-km (93-mi) pleasantly undulating bicycle path follows the old railway line and includes a dizzying wooden viaduct, a 150-meter-long (500-foot-long) tunnel, and places to eat, sleep, and drink along the way. The only traffic you'll encounter is the occasional herd of muddy-bottomed sheep. The ride takes about five days to complete, passing through sheep farms and lovely wee towns such as Ranfurly, an "oasis of art deco," and Alexander, one of the busier hubs in Central Otago on the banks of the paint green Clutha River. The trail eventually ends in Thyme-scented Clyde. The route can be traversed in either direction; Clyde is approximately 80 km (50 mi) from Queenstown. The Otago Central Rail Trail is a great way to experience the sheep stations, puzzling sheep station gates with puzzling locks (a couple dozen of them), mud, wind, rivers, pubs, and old gold fields of the South Island on a bicycle-friendly path. www.otagocentralrailtrail.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's