- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
St. Clair Beach. The sea at Dunedin can be a little wild; in summer an area between flags is patrolled by lifeguards. St. Clair has some good surfing; it hosts some prestigious competitions. Don't be too spooked by the shark bell on the Esplanade: a fatal attack hasn't occurred for 30 years, just the occasional nibble. Local residents show what they're made of at the annual "midwinter plunge" held on the beach at winter solstice. If the ocean is too cold for you try the Hot Salt Water Pool at the southern end of the beach (NZ$5.70 admission). South of town is the Tunnel Beach walk, which heads through a sandstone tunnel to a secluded beach (this walk is closed from August through October for lambing). Amenities: food and drink; lifeguards; parking (free); showers; toilets. Best for: surfing; walking. Beach St., St. Clair, Dunedin, 9012. Drive south on State Hwy. 1 or hop on the Normanby–St. Clair bus from George St. or the Octagon.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's