- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Whangarei is about two hours by car from Auckland on State Highway One. Bus services (NZ$40) also travel this route but take longer as they stop at many small towns along the way.
You can fly from Auckland to Whangarei, but factoring arriving at the airport and checking in, it's often quicker to drive to Whangarei. There is no train service.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe