- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are several pleasant walks around the Russell area; the most challenging—and spectacular—is the Cape Brett Tramping Track out to the lighthouse. It takes about eight hours round-trip. It costs NZ$30 to walk the track, and you can stay in a hut for NZ$12.20 per night. You must book in advance, as this is a popular walk. It is not for the unfit, and good shoes are a must. Check with the Russell Information Center on the wharf. For a shorter jaunt on your own (an hour each way), follow the Whangamumu Walking Track to the remnants of a whaling station. Many relics such as an old boiler and vats are still left at the station.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's