The 1838 Mangungu Mission House is an overlooked stop on the tourist trail. Although Waitangi is the most famous site of New Zealand's founding document, this unassuming spot, which looks out over Hokianga Harbour, was the scene of the second signing of the Treaty. Here, on February 12, 1840, the largest gathering of Māori chiefs signed the Treaty of Waitangi (73 chiefs, compared with only 31 in Waitangi's signing). The house is now a museum, furnished with pre-Treaty
missionary items, including portraits, photographs, and furniture.
Motukiore Rd., Hokianga Harbour, Horeke, 0475, New Zealand
64 9-407 0470