Northland and the Bay of Islands Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Northland and the Bay of Islands Restaurant Reviews
Seafood abounds in the north with scallops and oysters farmed throughout the region, though occasional sewerage scares put them off-limits. Snapper and kingfish are available year-round, and marlin and broad-bill swordfish are abundant between January and June.
The region prides itself on its local produce, and with more skillful chefs arriving in the region, the restaurant food is slowly improving.
People eat earlier in Northland than in the cities, with restaurants filling around 7. Dress is casual—jeans are acceptable in all but the most upscale lodges. From May through September, many restaurants close or reduce their opening hours, some to four nights a week. October sees regular hours resume.
Browse Northland and the Bay of Islands Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's