- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Marlin Fishing New Zealand. Go for the big ones off the Northland coast and around Three Kings Islands. The cost is NZ$3,950 per day for a maximum of four people, including all tackle and meals but excluding alcohol. The company will organise overnight charters if required. 09/402–8189 or 0274/776–604. www.marlinfishing.co.nz.
A far less-expensive alternative than pricey marlin fishing is to fish for snapper and kingfish within the bay.
Spot-X. An all day charter will cost you about NZ$1,200 for up to six people and you can leave as early as you like. You'll need to bring your lunch and cold drinks but the team who take you out will supply tea and coffee. Word is these people know some good fishing spots. They are a hand at filleting your catch so you can take it back to where you stay and just cook it. They leave from Paihia but if you are staying in Russell they'll pick you up there. 09/402–7123. www.fish-spot-x.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's