- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Marlin Fishing New Zealand. Go for the big ones off the Northland coast and around Three Kings Islands. The cost is NZ$3,700 per day for a maximum of four people, including all tackle and meals but excluding alcohol. Box 285, Paihia. 09/402-8189 or 0274/776-604. www.marlinfishing.co.nz.
A far less-expensive alternative than pricey marlin fishing is to fish for snapper and kingfish within the bay.
Spot-X. Four-hour snapper-fishing charters cost NZ$800 for up to six people, or if you're after kingfish then it's NZ$1200 for four of you. Trips include bait and tackle (bring your own lunch). 09/402-7123. www.fish-spot-x.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand