Northland and the Bay of Islands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Footprints-Waipoua. The night tours to see Tane Mahuta and Te Matua Ngahere are led by local Maori guides, experienced bushmen who enrich your experience with their knowledge of the forest and wildlife, waiata (traditional Maori song), and tales from Maori legend. Spend four hours on the Twilight Encounter (NZ$95); a shortened version, Meet Tane at Night, takes 1½ hours (NZ$70). If you're really pressed for time, but want more than your own self-guided 10-minute jaunt, there is also a 40-minute tour (NZ$25). State Hwy. 12, Omapere, 0473. 09/405-8207. www.footprintswaipoua.com.
Crossings-Hokianga. The same guides also run Crossings-Hokianga. Centering on a guided boat cruise of the Hokianga Harbour, this day trip begins and ends in the Bay of Islands, with a focus on Hokianga history and the natural environment (NZ$110). The cruise stops at historical spots throughout the harbor, such as Motuti, the Mangungu Mission Station, and Kohukohu. You can also take shorter harbor crossings, skipping the walk. Tours run daily November to April, and Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, May through October. State Hwy. 12. 09/405-8207. www.crossingshokianga.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand