Northland and the Bay of Islands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Experiences in Northland
The remnant of the once-giant Kauri Forest that covered much of Northland includes New Zealand's biggest kauri, called Tane Mahuta. Get there early to avoid crowds and ponder what the region was like before large-scale forestry took place.
We also recommend the coastal drive to Russell. The roads are narrow and windy, but your effort will pay off when you enjoy a picnic on a solitary beach.
If you have ventured to Kaitaia—the last big and slightly scruffy town before you hit the road to Cape Reinga—take an extra hour or so and go south of 90 Mile Beach to Ahipara and Shipwrecks Bay for lovely beach views. In summer the swimming here is magnificent and surfers rejoice at the waves all year round.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's