- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Wanganui is a three-hour drive from Wellington; take State Highway 1 north to Sanson and Highway 3 west from there. From New Plymouth drive south on State Highway 3 and allow about 1½ hours for the journey. Access to the lower and middle reaches of the Whanganui River from the city is via the Whanganui River Road, a minor winding route—expect it to take two hours to drive from Wanganui to Pipiriki. Remember to keep left on the narrow corners. For a scenic backcountry day trip, drive north up the Whanganui River Road, cut east along the minor road connecting Pipirike to Raetihi, and then return down Highway 4, a paved though winding road through steep farmland and forest, to Wanganui. To reach the kayak starting points, take Highway 4 north from Wanganui; it's a three-hour drive to Taumarunui, via Raetihi.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's