- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Although in the countryside Waitomo is handily located close to State Highway 3, one of the major highways, that link Waikato and Rotorua with Taranaki and Tongariro, the Waitomo Wanderer offers a daily return trip from both Rotorua and Taupo, arriving mid-morning and departing late afternoon. The Overlander Auckland-Wellington train runs daily through summer and Friday-Sunday in winter. The Waitomo Shuttle (NZ$12 per person) can be booked to meet the train at Otorohanga, 16 km from Waitomo (contact the Waitomo i-SITE Visitor Centre or email email@example.com for bookings). For day-trippers, Newmans offers a number of bus-tour package options to the Waitomo Caves originating in Auckland or Rotorua.
You can return to your point of embarkation or travel on to Rotorua (from Auckland) or to Auckland (from Rotorua). Scenic and historic stops along the way and admission to the Waitomo Glowworm Cave are included. The cost for Auckland-Waitomo return is NZ$218 per person, Auckland-Waitomo-Rotorua NZ$224, and Rotorua-Waitomo-Rotorua NZ$213. Packages including a visit to the Ruakuri Cave are also available.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe