- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A short drive from the main highway, Waitomo is a small but busy rural village catering to tourists visiting the region's famous cave systems. There's a small but good selection of cafés and a tavern in town. To explore the caves there's a dizzying range of options: some 20 different tours include experiences ranging from gentle walking on well-lighted pathways to rappelling, tubing, and climbing underground waterfalls. Aboveground, the surrounding hills are a mix of native bush and verdant farmland, and everything in the small village is within walking distance.
The Waitomo Caves are part of an ancient seabed that was lifted and then spectacularly eroded into a surreal underground landscape of limestone formations, gushing rivers, and contorted caverns. Many of these amazing subterranean passages are still unexplored, but four major cave systems are open for guided tours: Ruakuri, Spellbound, Aranui, and Waitomo Glowworm Cave. Each has its own special characteristics, and you won't be disappointed by any. Your guides might be descendants of local chief Tane Tinorau (who discovered Waitomo Glowworm Cave); they will certainly be local caving experts who have spent years exploring the amazing network of shafts and passageways around Waitomo.
There are two visitor centers in Waitomo village. Bookings for all cave tours and activities can be made with the individual tour operators, or at the Waitomo i-SITE Visitor Centre. Bookings for Waitomo Glowworm Cave, Ruakuri, Spellbound, and Te Ana o Te Atua caves can also be made at the Waitomo Glowworm Cave Visitor Centre.
Waitomo at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in North Island's West Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand