- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The region's landscape includes the majestic volcano, Mt. Taranaki; the gorges and wilderness of the Whanganui River; the underground wonders of the Waitomo Caves; world-renowned surfing beaches; two national parks; and a host of forest-covered conservation areas, along with highly productive farmland.
In the north, Cambridge is close to Hamilton and about a 90-minute drive from Auckland, on the main State Highway 1. Surfing town Raglan is in a sparsely populated area of the West Coast, yet an easy hour's drive from Hamilton. Continuing south, Waitomo sits on a popular North Island tourist trail linking Rotorua and Tongariro National Park. It's also on the westward route to New Plymouth city and the Taranaki region. While State Highway 1 traverses the center of the North Island, State Highway 3 travels the west coast through the Taranaki bight to Wanganui, then meets again with State Highway 1 close to Palmerston North.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's