- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The town of Stratford sits under the eastern side of Mt. Taranaki and is a service town for surrounding farms. Its streets are named after characters from Shakespeare's works, and it has the first glockenspiel in New Zealand, which chimes four times a day. Because the town is at the junction of highways 3 and 43, you'll likely pass through at some stage if you're exploring Taranaki. Some of the country's most interesting private gardens, including Te Popo and Hollard, are found in the rich volcanic soil here.
Stratford at a Glance
Elsewhere in North Island's West Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's