- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Bridge to Nowhere Lodge
At a Glance
- birdsong at dawn
- river access only
Check Rates from our Partners
Bridge to Nowhere Lodge Review
In a private enclave deep in Whanganui National Park, 21 km (31 miles) upriver from Pipiriki, this lodge can only be reached by jet-boat (arranged by the lodge); the payoff for the remote location is magnificent forest vistas, birdsong at dawn, and the chance to bathe under the stars in the outdoor tub. Accommodations range from doubles in the amazingly comfortable lodge with bush and river views to self-catering family and bunk rooms to a six-berth dorm-style cabin, also self-catering. There's a camping area (bring your own tent), too. In the lodge rooms, you can choose between self-catering and bed, breakfast, and dinner; packages are available that include a trip upriver to the Bridge to Nowhere. Lodge owner Jo runs jet-boat tours to the Bridge to Nowhere, canoe trips, canoe rental, and jet-boat access to hiking and mountain biking trips in the national park. The total package, which includes jet-boat transport to and from the lodge, dinner, bed (double room), breakfast, and a Bridge to Nowhere excursion, costs NZ$245 per person per night. If you have your own transport (as in jet-boat or kayak), dinner, bed, and breakfast is NZ$135 per person per night.
- Address: Whanganui River, Box 4203, Wanganui, 4576
- Phone: 06/385–4622; 0800/480–308
- Website: www.bridgetonowhere.co.nz
- Location: The Whanganui River and Whanganui National Park
- 6 rooms (4 double, 1 twin, 1 single), 2 bunkrooms (sleep 5 and 6).
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more