- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bridge to Nowhere Lodge
At a Glance
- birdsong at dawn
- river access only
Bridge to Nowhere Lodge Review
In a private enclave deep in Whanganui National Park, 21 km (31 mi) upriver from Pipiriki, this lodge can only be reached by jet-boat (arranged by the lodge); the payoff for the remote location is magnificent forest vistas, birdsong at dawn, and the chance to bathe under the stars in the outdoor tub. Accommodations range from doubles in the amazingly comfortable lodge, with bush and river views to self-catering family and bunk rooms, to a six-berth dorm-style cabin, also self-catering. There's also a camping area (bring your own tent). In the lodge rooms, you can choose between self-catering, or bed, breakfast, and dinner; packages are available that include a trip farther upriver to the Bridge to Nowhere. Lodge owner Jo also runs jet-boat tours to the Bridge to Nowhere, canoe trips, canoe rental, and jet-boat access to hiking and mountain biking trips in the National Park. The total package, which includes jet boat transport to and from the lodge, dinner, bed (double room), breakfast, and a Bridge to Nowhere excursion, costs NZ$245 per person per night. If you have your own transport (as in jet-boat or kayak), dinner, bed, and breakfast is NZ$135 per person per night.
- Address: Whanganui River, Box 4203, Wanganui, 4576
- Phone: 06/385–4622; 0800/480–308
- Website: www.bridgetonowhere.co.nz
- Location: The Whanganui River and Whanganui National Park
- 6 rooms (4 double, 1 twin, 1 single), 2 bunkrooms (sleep 5 and 6).
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
Hi guys, I'm starting to organize my wardrobe for 5 days in Sydney and 10 day cruise to Auckland on Regent Voyager in January. Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more