- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whanganui National Park
Whanganui National Park Review
The city of Wanganui sits near the mouth of the Whanganui River, which flows through the heart of Whanganui National Park and is one of New Zealand's most historic and scenic waterways. The Whanganui begins its journey high on the mountains of Tongariro National Park and flows 329-km (204-mi) through steep gorges, forested wilderness, and isolated pockets of farmland. For several hundred years the Te Atihau nui a paparangi tribe of Māori has lived along the riverbanks, and they still regard the river as their spiritual ancestor.
The river's wilderness, its rich culture and history, and its relatively easy navigability are its main features. Scenic jet boat trips operate throughout the year from several points along the river. Single and multi-day kayak trips are extremely popular, both guided and independent. Most visitors kayak during summer, but a river trip is feasible any time of the year.
- Location: The Whanganui River and Whanganui National Park
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We Went to Starbucks in Rotorua, New Zealand. Read more
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
I read a lot of forums but couldnt find an answer to what I was looking for. Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across... Read more
In September, new boutique hotel 1888 landed in Sydney, with an unusual claim to fame: It's the world's... Read more
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more