- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Whanganui National Park
Whanganui National Park Review
Flowing through the heart of this national park, the historic and scenic Whanganui River begins its journey high on the mountains of Tongariro National Park and flows 329 km (204 miles) through steep gorges, forested wilderness, and isolated pockets of farmland. For several hundred years the Te Atihau nui a paparangi tribe of Māori has lived along the riverbanks, and they still regard the river as their spiritual ancestor.
The river's wilderness, its rich culture and history, and its relatively easy navigability are its main draws. Scenic jet-boat trips operate throughout the year from several points along the river. Single and multiday kayak trips, both guided and independent, are extremely popular. Most visitors kayak in summer, but a river trip is feasible any time of year. Two major two- to three-day walks and many shorter walks explore the lowland forest and history of the river. Totaling 317 km (197 miles), the Mountains to Sea—Nga Ara Tuhono Cycle Trail traverses remote forest tracks (challenging for mountain bikes) and roads through Tongariro and Whanganui national parks from Mt. Ruapehu to the river's mouth. It can be ridden in stages.
- Address: 280 Tahunaroa Rd., Taranaki 4392
- Website: www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/national-parks/whanganui
- Location: The Whanganui River and Whanganui National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more