- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
GPO Bar & Brasserie
GPO Bar & Brasserie Review
"Mum used to bring me here to post letters and bank my savings, now I bring my Mum to take her out to dinner." What was the town's post office and savings bank is now one of its most popular eateries, serving contemporary New Zealand dishes with strong Mediterranean, Pacific Rim, and Asian flavors. There's a choice of tapas or a la carte dishes. If you need to bulk up the 10 ounce Hereford Prime Ribeye might help.Choose among a semiformal dining restaurant, a cozy bar serving top local and New Zealand beers, or a covered rear courtyard. The ambience is in keeping with this 1908 Victorian era building, complete with its 53-foot-high clock tower.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more