- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whanganui River Road
Whanganui River Road Review
For those without the time or inclination to travel by kayak or jet boat an excellent option is to explore the river's lower reaches by following the Whanganui River Road from the city of Wanganui. Built in the 1930s to provide access to communities otherwise reliant on the then-less-frequent riverboat services, the road runs for 79 km (49 mi) north, as far as Pipiriki. It's a narrow backcountry road that is unpaved in stretches, although there are ongoing upgrades. Paved or not, be sure to keep left and take it slowly.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more