- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boating and Kayaking
Raglan Boat Charters. Local boatman Ian Hardie has been operating cruises here for 18 years, so he knows his way around the harbor. He offers two delightful options for exploring Raglan's tidal inlets and bays. Join him aboard Harmony III for a low key one-hour cruise. See forest reserves, historic habitation sites, isolated beaches, the "pancakes" limestone outcrops, seabirds, and, if you are lucky, the pod of orca that occasionally visits the harbor. This tour runs all year, but times vary based on the tides (NZ$30). If it's a more social cruise you're after step aboard the bigger Wahinemoe,a 70-person purpose-built catamaran, for a two hour sunset sail. The evening sail run daily October to April and includes a gourmet BBQ dinner (NZ$49). Advance reservations are essential. 027/488-1215.
Raglan Kayak. There's no better way to explore huge Raglan Harbour than on nature's terms with Steve and Candide Reid. Local boy Steve searched the world for the perfect place to work on water, then realized it was back home. People of any age and ability are welcome on his daily trip, where the focus is on paddling with the tide and wind, swimming on secluded beaches, great scenery, espresso, and home-baked goodies. Trips run for three hours (NZ$70). Kayaks are also available for rent (NZ$20 single, NZ$30 tandem per hour; NZ$40-$60 per half day; NZ $50-$80 per day). Closed Easter to end of October. 07/825-8862.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand