- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Palmerston North—or "Palmy" as the locals call it—is home to several major educational and research institutes. Thanks to these, young students make up one-third of Palmerston North's population. The biggest influence on the city is Massey University, one of the country's leading universities. The Massey campus has two Palmerston North locations: Turitea, set among huge trees and lovely gardens; and Hokowhitu, on the city side of the Manawatu River, with modern buildings near the lagoon. Campus also includes the Sport and Rugby Institute, where the All Blacks (the national rugby team) and other national and international elite sports people come to train.
The city also provides services for the thriving, surrounding farming industry. Rolling, rural sheep and cattle farms, stunning gardens, and rural homestay retreats are all in close vicinity, nestling at the foot of the steep, snow-covered in winter, Ruahine Ranges.
Palmerston North at a Glance
Elsewhere in North Island's West Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's