- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Palmerston North—or "Palmy" as the locals call it—is home to several major educational and research institutes. Thanks to these, young students make up one-third of Palmerston North's population. The biggest influence on the city is Massey University, one of the country's leading universities. The Massey campus has two Palmerston North locations: Turitea, set among huge trees and lovely gardens; and Hokowhitu, on the city side of the Manawatu River, with modern buildings near the lagoon. Campus also includes the Sport and Rugby Institute, where the All Blacks (the national rugby team) and other national and international elite sports people come to train.
The city also provides services for the thriving, surrounding farming industry. Rolling, rural sheep and cattle farms, stunning gardens, and rural homestay retreats are all in close vicinity, nestling at the foot of the steep, snow-covered in winter, Ruahine Ranges.
Palmerston North at a Glance
Elsewhere in North Island's West Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand