- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
East End Beach. Adjoining Fitzroy Beach is East End Beach, which also has lifeguards.
Fitzroy Beach. Coastal waters can be quite wild, so it's wise to swim at patrolled beaches. The beaches have black sand and rocky outcrops, which make for interesting rock-pool exploring. In summer, pohutakawa trees provide shade in some spots; otherwise bring plenty of sunblock. Fitzroy Beach has lifeguards in summer and is easily accessible from New Plymouth, just 1½ km (¾ mi) from the city center.
Ngamotu Beach. Ngamotu Beach, along Ocean View Parade, is calm and suitable for young children.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe