- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kaitiaki Adventures Dam Dropping Taranaki. Dam dropping, or white-water sledging (like sledding, but on water), has become one of New Zealand's many zany adventure sports, and Taranaki is where it all started. You'll have your nose to the water as you maneuver your sledge headfirst over a short steep dam on the Waingongoro River. Kaitiaki Adventures runs trips on demand, leaving from the Normanby Hotel, five minutes north of Hawera on State Highway 3. Bring a swimsuit and towel; a padded wet suit, booties, life jacket, helmet, fins, and a sledge (which resembles a small surfboard) are provided. Guides add a cultural element by talking about the kaitiake, the traditional guardians of the land and its rivers. The three-hour trips (NZ$100) run mainly during summer school holidays (January) and on weekends but can sometimes be booked other days. Advance reservations are required. 06/752–8242 or 0274/706–899.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's