- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Three well-marked main roads provide access up the mountain, and to walking tracks, lodgings, and visitor centers. The first mountain turnoff, as you drive south from New Plymouth on State Highway 3, is Egmont Road and leads to the start of many walking trails and the North Egmont Visitor Centre. Drop in to peruse the excellent displays and grab a bite at the café. The second road up the mountain from State Highway 3, Pembroke Road, takes you to the Mountain House hotel, a few walking tracks and, a little farther on, to Stratford Plateau, where there are stunning views and an access track to the mountain's small, club ski slope. A third turnoff (Manaia Road), turns right off Opunake Road, heading from Stratford, and leads up the south side of the mountain to the Dawson Falls Visitor Centre.
Book a local transport operator from New Plymouth through the New Plymouth i-SITE Visitor Information Centre.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand