- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
InterCity, along with its subsidiary company Newmans, runs regular bus services for the entire region. Comfortable, reasonably priced, and efficient, both are particularly useful to backpackers and people who are in no particular hurry.
The Napier-to-Auckland trip takes 8 hours, Napier–Rotorua is 3½ hours, Napier–Taupo is 2¼ hours, and Napier–Wellington is 6 hours. Frequent local services go between Napier and Hastings. There's one bus service a day to Gisborne, with Newmans and InterCity, from either Auckland, via Rotorua, or from Wellington, via Napier. These trips take a solid day.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe