- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mt. Ruapehu ski slopes. Combined, the Mt. Ruapehu ski slopes add up to New Zealand's most extensive skiing and snowboarding terrain. The Whakapapa ski area, on the mountain's north side, has more than 30 groomed trails, including beginners' slopes. Turoa, on the south side, has a half-pipe. Ski season generally runs from June through October. Both areas can provide lessons and rental equipment. Lift pass prices generally go on the website a few months before the ski season begins. The skifield also opens its lifts in summer for those wanting a little alpine sightseeing. www.mtruapehu.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's