- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Taupo is four hours from Auckland, taking Highway 1 the whole way. It's 70 minutes from Rotorua, also via Highway 1. The streets are laid out in a grid pattern. Lake Terrace runs along the lakefront; it turns into Tongariro Street as it heads north, crossing the Waikato River and the gates that control the flow of water from the lake. Heu Heu Street is the main shopping street and runs from the traffic lights on Tongariro Street. InterCity Buses runs daily from Auckland to Taupo. The trip takes approximately five hours. From Rotorua to Taupo the trip takes 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe