- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There is some great fishing in the Taupo area and an attendant number of guides with local expertise. Guides work the Tongariro River and the lake. The high season runs from October to April. Costs are usually around NZ$250 for a half day and include all equipment plus a fishing license (note that you need a special license to fish here and in Rotorua). Book at least a day in advance.
Chris Jolly Outdoors. A luxury cruiser on Lake Taupo costs about NZ$150 per hour. 07/378–0623. www.chrisjolly.co.nz.
Fishy Steve. Steve Sprague runs Fishy Steve and undertakes a number of trips ranging from a half-day flyfishing for beginners, to 4x4 bush excursions and helicopter trips into the wilderness. Costs can range from NZ$250 to NZ$3600 not including the license. 07/378–2192. fishysteve.com.
Mark Aspinall. Fly-fish for rainbow and brown trout with Mark Aspinall. 07/378–4453.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe